Vol 32| Issue 1 | Jan – June 2019 | page: 17-22 | Dominic Puthoor, Dijoe Davis, Shafeeq Muhammed Abubekkar
Authors: Dominic Puthoor , Dijoe Davis , Shafeeq Muhammed Abubekkar 
 Department Of Orthopaedics, Amala Institute Of Medical Sciences, Thrissur, Kerala, India
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Dominic Puthoor,
Orthopaedic Oncologist, Amala Institute Of Medical Sciences, Thrissur, Kerala, India.
Simple bone cyst (SBC) is a tumor-like lesion affecting bone. Humerus is the most common site of SBC. Most of the cases of SBC in humerus presents with a pathological fracture. In our study, patients presenting with pathological fracture of SBC in humerus were treated with intracystic injection of Depo-Medrol (methylprednisolone acetate) under computed tomography guidance followed by immobilization in U-slab for 1 month. Clinical and radiological assessment was done during follow-up. It is found that the patients promptly regain excellent function though radiologically healing of the lesion is only partial.
Keywords: Simple bone cyst, Tumor-like lesion, Pathological fracture.
1. Puthoor D, Davis D. Tumour-like lesions are we over treating them? J Bone Soft Tissue Tumors 2016;2:13-8.
2. Dominic KP, Dijoe D, Manathara LT. Tumour like lesions and their management: A retrospective study. Int J Res Orthop 2018;4:159-65.
3. Puthur DK. Tumour like lesions: Understand the difference. Kerala J Orthop 2013;26:137-41.
4. Christopher F, Bridge JA, Hogendoorn PC, Fredrik M. WHO Classificatiaon of Soft Tissue and Bone. 4th ed. ???: ???; 2013. p. 240-1, 301.
5. Schajowicz F. Histological Typing of Bone Tumours. World Health Organization; International Histological Classification of Tumours. 2nd ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1993. p. 36-42.
6. Lokiec F, Wientroub S. Simple bone cyst: Etiology, classification, pathology, and treatment modalities. J PediatrOrthop B 1998;7:262-73.
7. Kadhim M, Sethi S, Thacker MM. Unicameral bone cysts in the humerus: Treatment outcomes. J PediatrOrthop 2016;36:392-9.
8. Chang CH, Stanton RP, Glutting J. Unicameral bone cysts treated by injection of bone marrow or methylprednisolone. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2002;84:407-12.
9. Cho HS, Oh JH, Kim HS, Kang HG, Lee SH. Unicameral bone cysts. Bone Joint J 2007;89:222-6.
10. Nelson BL. Solitary bone cyst. Head Neck Pathol 2010;4:208-9.
11. Kim MC, Joo SD, Jung ST. The role of fractures on pathologic bone in healing of proximal humerus unicameral bone cysts. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2018;26:2309499018778366.
12. Enneking WF. Modification of the System for Functional Evaluation in the Surgical Management of Musculoskeletal Tumors. Limb Salvage in Musculoskeletal Oncology. New York: Churchill Livingstone; 1987.
13. Horstmann PF, Hettwer WH, Petersen MM. Treatment of benign and borderline bone tumors with combined curettage and bone defect reconstruction. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2018;26:1-7.
14. Liu PT, Valadez SD, Chivers FS, Roberts CC, Beauchamp CP. Anatomically based guidelines for core needle biopsy of bone tumors: Implications for limb-sparing surgery. Radiographics 2007;27:189-205.
15. Espinosa LA, Jamadar DA, Jacobson JA, DeMaeseneer MO, Ebrahim FS, Sabb BJ, et al. CT-guided biopsy of bone: A radiologist’s perspective. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008;190:W283-9.
16. Campanacci MD, Enneking WF. Simple bone cyst. In: Text Book Bone Soft Tissue Tumors. ???: ???; ???.
17. Campanacci M, De Sessa L, Trentani C. Scaglietti’s method for conservative treatment of simple bone cysts with local injections of methylprednisolone acetate. Ital J OrthopTraumatol 1977;3:27-36.
18. Cohen J. Etiology of simple bone cyst. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1970;52:1493-7.
19. Shindell R, Huurman WW, Lippiello L, Connolly JF. Prostaglandin levels in unicameral bone cysts treated by intralesional steroid injection. J PediatrOrthop 1989;9:516-9.
|How to Cite this Article: Puthoor D, Davis D, Abubekkar S M. Functional and Radiological Outcome of Non-operative Management of Simple Bone Cyst of Humerus Presenting with Pathological Fracture. Kerala Journal of Orthopaedics Jan-June 2019; 32(1): 17-22 .