Vol 32| Issue 2 | July – Dec 2019 | page: 50-52| Nikhil C S, Harisankar M, N J Mani, K Muraleedharan, Arunlal K P
Authors: Nikhil C S, Harisankar M, N J Mani, K Muraleedharan, Arunlal K P
Department Of Orthopedics, Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut, Kerala, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Nikhil CS,
Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut, Kerala, India.
Acute calcific tendinitis is a common orthopedic problem around the shoulder and hip. It is commonly seen near the insertion of supraspinatus tendon in shoulder. It is rare in the hand and often overlooked and underdiagnosed. Clinically, it is a mimicker of other acute inflammatory conditions such as infection, acute gout, foreign bodies, and even fracture. The most common site in hand is near the insertion of flexor carpi ulnaris (FCU) tendon in women. We describe an unusual case of calcific tendinitis involving flexor tendon sheath of index finger.
Keywords: Acute calcific tendintis, Index Finger, Flexor tendon.
1. HayesCW, ConwayWF. Calcium hydroxyapatite deposition disease.Radiographics1990;10:1031-48.
2. McCartyDJ Jr., GatterRA. Recurrent acute inflammation associated with focal apatite crystal deposition.Arthritis Rheum1966;9:804-19.
3. MunjalA, MunjalP, MahajanA. Diagnostic dilemma: Acute calcific tendinitis of flexor digitorumprofundus.Hand (N Y)2013;8:352-3.
4. CarrollRE, SintonW, GarciaA. Acute calcium deposits in the hand.J Am Med Assoc1955;157:422-6.
5. FaureG, DaculsiG. Calcified tendinitis: A review.Ann Rheum Dis1983;42Suppl 1:49-53.
6. SelbyCL. Acute calcific tendinitis of the hand: An infrequently recognized and frequently misdiagnosed form of periarthritis.Arthritis Rheum1984;27:337-40.
7. LeeKB, SongKJ, KwakHS, LeeSY. Acute calcific periarthritis of proximal interphalangeal joint in a professional Golfer‘s hand.J Korean Med Sci2004;19:904-6.
|How to Cite this Article: Nikhil C S, Harisankar M, N J Mani, K Muraleedharan, Arunlal K P | Acute Calcific Tendinitis of Flexor Tendon Sheath of Index Finger- A Case Report | Kerala Journal of Orthopaedics | July – Dec 2019; 32(2): 50-52 .