Vol 32| Issue 2 | July – Dec 2019 | page: 02-05 | Rajanish. R, M. Harisankar, Jim Thomas Malayil, Muhammad P K
Authors: Rajanish. R , M. Harisankar , Jim Thomas Malayil , Muhammad P K .
 Department of Orthopedics, Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut, Kerala..
Address of Correspondence
Dr. M. Harisankar,
Department of Orthopedics, Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut, Kerala
The management of the patella during total knee arthroplasty is still controversial. This study aims at assessing the functional outcome of total knee replacements with a non-resurfacing patelloplasty technique. We had a total of 53 patients and 62 total knee replacements. The patients were assessed preoperatively with Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC) score and were treated with total knee replacements with a non-resurfacing patelloplasty technique. The patients were followed up for 1 year and WOMAC score was calculated to assess the functional outcome. The results showed a very promising improvement in the functional status of the patient. The authors recommend the use of non-resurfacingpatelloplasty, as the procedure gives comparable results with resurfacing patelloplasty while avoiding its complications.
Keywords: Anterior knee pain, Patelloplasty, Patellar resurfacing, Total knee arthroplasty.
1. Kornah BA, NegmMA, MegahedMA. Short term outcomes of non-surfacing patelloplasty in primary total knee arthroplasty.Egypt J Hosp Med2019;75:2089-91.
2. PatelK, RautV. Patella in total knee arthroplasty: To resurface or not to a cohort study of staged bilateral total knee arthroplasty.Int Orthop2011;35:349-53.
3. HeJY, JiangLS, DaiLY. Is patellar resurfacing superior than nonresurfacing in total knee arthroplasty? A meta-analysis of randomized trials.Knee2011;18:137-44.
4. BellamyN. Outcome measurement in osteoarthritis clinical trials.J Rheumatol Suppl1995;43:49-51.
5. ŽupanA, SnojŽ, AntoličV, PompeB. Better results with patelloplasty compared to traditional total knee arthroplasty.Int Orthop2014;38:1621-5.
6. CercielloS, RobinJ, LustigS, MaccauroG, HeyseTJ, NeyretP. The role of patelloplasty in total knee arthroplasty.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg2016;136:1607-13.
7. HsuHC, LuoZP, RandJA, AnKN. Influence of patellar thickness on patellar tracking and patellofemoral contact characteristics after total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty1996;11:69-80.
8. JiangCC, ChenCH, HuangLT, LiuYJ, ChangSL, WenCY, et al. Effect of patellar thickness on kinematics of the knee joint.J Formos Med Assoc1993;92:373-8.
9. ReubenJD, McDonaldCL, WoodardPL, HenningtonLJ. Effect of patella thickness on patella strain following total knee arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty1991;6:251-8.
10. LiuZT, FuPL, WuHS, ZhuY. Patellar reshaping versus resurfacing in total knee arthroplasty results of a randomized prospective trial at a minimum of 7 years’ follow-up.Knee2012;19:198-202.
|How to Cite this Article: Rajanish R, Harisankar M, Malayil J T, Muhammad P K | Functional outcome of non-resurfacing patelloplasty in primary total knee arthroplasty- A one year follow up study of 62 knee replacements | Kerala Journal of Orthopaedics | July – Dec 2019; 32(2): 02-05 .