Osteopetrosis– An Experience of Open Reduction and Internal Fixation: A Case Report
Vol 32| Issue 2 | July – Dec 2019 | page: 56-58| Noufal S, VinodKumar B.P, Vikraman C.S.
Authors: Noufal S, VinodKumar B.P, Vikraman C.S. 
Department Of Orthopaedics, Govt. Medical College, Kollam, Kerala, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Noufal S,
Orthopaedics, Govt. Medical College, Kollam, Kerala, India.
We describe a patient with osteopetrosis who sustained multiple fractures including, right neck of femur fracture left subtrochanteric fracture and left forearm both bone fracture. All fractures were internally fixed. Our patient showed fracture union and successful return to normal activities of daily living. Operative treatment in osteopetrosis fractures are extremely difficult along with associated complications including infection and non union. Our experience shows internal fixation of peritrochanteric fracture with good outcome.
Keywords: Osteopetrosis, Internal fixation, Neck of femur fracture, Subtrochanteric fracture, Both bone fracture forearm.
1. Gupta RK. Long bone fractures in osteopetrosis: Awareness of primary pathology and appropriate pre-operative planning necessary to avoid pitfalls in fixation.Injury Extra2005;36:37-41.
2. SobacchiC, FrattiniA, OrchardP, PorrasO, TezcanI, AndolinaM, et al. The mutational spectrum of human malignant autosomal recessive osteopetrosis.Hum Mol Genet2001;10:1767-73.
3. FrattiniA, OrchardPJ, SobacchiC, GilianiS, AbinunM, MattssonJP, et al. Defects in TCIRG1 subunit of the vacuolar proton pump are responsible for a subset of human autosomal recessive osteopetrosis.Nat Genet2000;25:343-6.
4. KornakU, KasperD, BöslMR, KaiserE, SchweizerM, SchulzA, et al. Loss of the ClC-7 chloride channel leads to osteopetrosis in mice and man.Cell2001;104:205-15.
5. YamamotoN, NaraparajuVR, OrchardPJ. Defective lymphocyte glycosidases in the macrophage activation cascade of juvenile osteopetrosis.Blood1996;88:1473-8.
6. AlexanderW. Report of a case of so-called ‘‘marble bones’’ with a review of the literature and translation of an article.AM J Roentgenol1923;10:280-301.
7. dePalma L, TulliA, MaccauroG, SabettaSP, delTorto M. Fracture callus in osteopetrosis.ClinOrthopRelat Res1994;308:85-9.
8. HasenhuttlK. Osteopetrosis. Review of the literature and comparative studies on a case with a twenty-four-year follow-up.J Bone Joint Surg Am1962;44-A:359-70.
9. KumbaraciM, KarapinarL, IncesuM, KayaA. Treatment of bilateral simultaneous subtrochanteric femur fractures with proximal femoral nail antirotation (PFNA) in a patient with osteopetrosis: Case report and review of the literature.J OrthopSci2013;18:486-9.
10. AslanA, BaykalYB, UysalE, AtayT, KirdemirV, BaydarML, et al. Surgical treatment of osteopetrosis-related femoral fractures: Two case reports and literature review.Case Rep Orthop2014;2014:891963.
11. ShapiroF. Osteopetrosis. Current clinical considerations.ClinOrthopRelat Res1993;294:34-44.
|How to Cite this Article: Noufal S, VinodKumar B.P, Vikraman C.S. | Osteopetrosis– An Experience of Open Reduction and Internal Fixation: A Case Report | Kerala Journal of Orthopaedics | July – Dec 2019; 32(2): 56-58 .
(Abstract) (Full Text HTML) (Download PDF)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!