Vol 32| Issue 2 | July – Dec 2019 | page: 39-41 | Rahul Srinivasan, KrishnaKumar
Authors: Rahul Srinivasan , Krishna Kumar 
 Department Of Spine surgery, Medical Trust Hospital, Kochi, Kerala, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Krishna kumar,
Medical Trust Hospital, Kochi, Kerala, India.
Spinal schwannomas are tumors arising from Schwann cells covering nerves, exiting from spinal cord. They may present as intradural extramedullary mass and occasionally extend extradurally forming dumbbell-shaped tumor. We present a case of a large sporadic spinal schwannoma with predominant extradural component. These types of tumors usually require two-staged procedure, but in our patient, tumor was completely removed in single stage through posterior approach.
Keywords: Dumbbell, Schwannoma, Compressive myelopathy.
1. Meola A, Perrini P, Montemurro N, di Russo P, Tiezzi G. Primary dumbbell-shaped lymphoma of the thoracic spine: A case report.Case Rep Neurol Med2012;2012:647682.
2. Kumar SA, KumarM, MalgondeM. Dumbbell-shaped neurofibroma of the upper thoracic spine: A case report.South Asian J Cancer2013;2:226.
3. LenziJ, AnichiniG, LandiA, PiciocchiA, PassacantilliE, PedaceF, et al. Spinal Nerves Schwannomas: Experience on 367 Cases-Historic Overview on How Clinical, Radiological, and Surgical Practices Have Changed over a Course of 60 Years.Neurol Res Int2017;2017:3568359.
4. SenapatiSB, MishraSS, DhirMK, PatnaikA, PanigrahiS. Recurrence of spinal schwannoma: Is it preventable?Asian J Neurosurg2016;11:451.
5. Bhardwaj S, Saraswat KB, Singh AP. Multiple spinal schwannomas in absence of neurofibromatosis: Review with case report.Indian Spine J2019;2:158-62.
6. Woodruff JM, Selig AM, Crowley K, Allen PW. Schwannoma (neurilemoma) with malignant transformation. A rare, distinctive peripheral nerve tumor.Am J Surg Pathol1994;18:882-95.
|How to Cite this Article: Srinivasan R, KrishnaKumar | Thoracic Dumbbell-shaped tumor causing compressive Myelopathy– A Case Report | Kerala Journal of Orthopaedics | July – Dec 2019; 32(2): 39-41.