Vol 32| Issue 1 | Jan – June 2019 | page: 30-33 | Ajayakumar T
Authors: Ajayakumar T 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Holy Family Hospital, Muthalakodam,
Thodupuzha, Kerla, India.
Address of correspondence :
Dr. Ajayakumar T,
Department of Orthopaedics, Holy Family Hospital, Muthalakodam,
Thodupuzha, Kerla, India.
We present a case of chronic anterior dislocation of knee in a 65-year-old female. She was suffering from type 1 neurofibromatosis and was having an intra-articular ganglion cyst of size 7 cm × 4 cm in between the patella and anterior aspect of the lower end of femur. We performed semi-constrained knee arthroplasty after excising the intra-articular ganglion cyst with satisfactory results. Postoperatively, the patient became ambulant with painless stable knee.
Keywords: Chronic knee dislocation, Arthroplasty, Intra-articular ganglion cysts, Type 1 neurofibromatosis, Osteoarthritis.
1. David KS. Intra articular ganglion cyst of the knee. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2004;12:335-7.
2. Lingamfelter BS. Chronic knee dislocation and flexion contracture treated with open reduction and external fixation a case report. J Arthritis 2014;3:133.
3. Petrie RS, Trousdale RT, Cabanela ME. Total knee arthroplasty for chronic posterior knee dislocation: Report of 2 cases with technical considerations. J Arthroplasty 2000;15:380-6.
4. Kodaira S, Nakajima T, Takahashi R, Moriya S, Nakagawa T, Ohtake H, et al. A case of intra-articular ganglion cysts of the knee joint: Correlation between arthroscopic and magnetic resonance imaging. BMC Med Imaging 2016;16:36.
5. Ross JP, Brown NM, Levine BR. Chronic knee dislocation after total knee arthroplasty. Orthopedics 2015;38:e1155-9.
6. Patel J, Whiting J, Jones D. Secondary knee osteoarthritis due to neurofibromatosis Type 1 treated with above the knee a m p u t a t i o n : A C a s e r e p o r t . C a s e R e p O r t h o p 2013;2013:782106.
7. Matsukawa Y, Hara H, Ryu J, Nakano Y, Takeuchi M, Sasaki K, et al. Unilateral developments of osteoarthritis and Charcot’s joint in a patient with neurofibromatosis. Med Sci Monit 2009;15:CS113-6.
8. Lokiec F, Arbel R, Isakov J, Wientroub S. Neuropathic arthropathy of the knee associated with an intra-articular neurofibroma in a child. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1998;80:468-70.
9. Matthai T, Bhowmick K, Boopalan PR, George JC. Neglected anterior dislocation of the knee with common peroneal palsy. Case Rep Orthop 2015;2015:174965.
10. Odent T, Ranger P, Aarabi M, Hamdy RC, Fassier F. Total hip arthroplasty in a patient with neurofibromatosis Type I and recurrent spontaneous hip dislocation. Can J Surg 2004;47:219- 20.
11. Kelly DW, Ovanessoff SA, Rubin JP. Intra-articular neurofibroma: An unusual source of anterior knee pain. Am J
Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 2012;41:492-5.
12. Liporace FA, Hommen JP, Su ET, Jeong GK, Dayan AJ. Semiconstrained knee arthroplasty in the setting of a chronic knee dislocation: A case report. J Orthop Trauma 2006;20:286- 8.
13. Indelli PF, Giori N, Maloney W. Level of constraint in revision knee arthroplasty. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med 2015;8:390-7.
14. Jabalameli M, Bagherifard A, Hadi H, Askari A, Ghaffari S. Total knee arthroplasty for chronic anterior knee dislocation. Clin Med Insights Case Rep 2018;11:1179547618782882.
|How to Cite this Article: Ajayakumar T. Knee Arthroplasty for Chronic Anterior Dislocation Knee with Intra-Articular Ganglion Cystin the Retro patellar Region in a Patient with Type 1 Neurofibromatosis. Kerala Journal of Orthopaedics Jan-June 2019; 32(1): 30-33.