Salvage of Femoral Head in Aneurysmal Bone Cyst of the Neck of Femur Presenting with Pathological Fracture in Pregnancy: A Case Report
Vol 32| Issue 2 | July – Dec 2019 | page: 46-49 | George M Srampickal, Mohamad Gouse, Subin Babu, Vinoo Mathew Cherian
Authors: George M Srampickal, Mohamad Gouse, Subin Babu, Vinoo Mathew Cherian
Department Of Orthopaedics, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. George M Srampickal,
Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India.
Salvage of femoral head following aneurysmal bone cysts (ABCs) of the neck of femur in pregnancy, presented with pathological fracture treated with a dual approach to the neck of femur, was not reported in the scientific literature. A 28-year-old lady at her 3rd month of gestation presented with pathological fracture through ABC of the neck of femur. The femoral head was salvaged successfully with single single-stage dual approach (anterior and lateral approach) extended curettage, allografting, and internal fixation. At two-2-year follow-up, her hip and function are preserved. This case highlights the advantages of a dual approach in salvage of femoral head in pathological fracture following destructive lesion of the neck of femur.
Keywords: Aneurysmal bone cysts, Pathological fracture, Femoral neck, Tumor in pregnancy, Femoral head salvage.
1. MintzMC, DalinkaMK, SchmidtR. Aneurysmal bone cyst arising in fibrous dysplasia during pregnancy.Radiology1987;165:549-50.
2. ElkattahR, FoulkB. A suspected pelvic aneurysmal bone cyst in pregnancy.Case Rep ObstetGynecol2013;2013:676087.
3. McQueenMM, ChalmersJ, SmithGD. Spontaneous healing of aneurysmal bone cysts. A report of two cases.J Bone Joint Surg Br1985;67:310-2.
4. ClarkeHD, DamronTA, SimFH. Head and neck replacement endoprosthesis for pathologic proximal femoral lesions.ClinOrthopRelat Res1998;???:210-7.
5. JaffeHL, LichtensteinL. Solitary unicameral bone cyst: With emphasis on the roentgen picture, the pathologic appearance and the pathogenesis.Arch Surg1942;44:1004-25.
6. LeithnerA, WindhagerR, LangS, HaasOA, KainbergerF, KotzR. Aneurysmal bone cyst. A population based epidemiologic study and literature review.ClinOrthopRelat Res1999:176-9.
7. DabskaM, BuraczewskiJ. Aneurysmal bone cyst. Pathology, clinical course and radiologic appearances.Cancer1969;23:371-89.
8. CottalordaJ, KohlerR, Salesde Gauzy J, ChotelF, MazdaK, LefortG, et al. Epidemiology of aneurysmal bone cyst in children: A multicenter study and literature review.J PediatrOrthop B2004;13:389-94.
9. ACOGCommittee on Obstetric Practice. ACOG Committee Opinion. Number 299, September 2004 (replaces No. 158, September 1995). Guidelines for diagnostic imaging during pregnancy.ObstetGynecol2004;104:647-51.
10. McColloughCH, SchuelerBA, AtwellTD, BraunNN, RegnerDM, BrownDL, et al.Radiation exposure and pregnancy: When should we be concerned?Radiographics2007;27:909-17.
11. LindeF, AndersenE, HvassI, MadsenF, PallesenR. Avascular femoral head necrosis following fracture fixation.Injury1986;17:159-63.
12. WaiEK, DavisAM, GriffinA, BellRS, WunderJS. Pathologic fractures of the proximal femur secondary to benign bone tumors.ClinOrthopRelat Res2001:279-86.
13. ShihHN, ChengCY, ChenYJ, HuangTJ, HsuRW. Treatment of the femoral neck amd trochanteric benign lesions.ClinOrthopRelat Res1996;:220-6.
14. XuJ, ZhangCQ. Salvage of a hip following pathological fracture through a large aneurysmal bone cyst: A case report.Hip Int2009;19:148-50.
|How to Cite this Article: Srampickal G M, Gouse M, Babu S, Cherian V M | Salvage of Femoral Head in Aneurysmal Bone Cyst of the Neck of Femur Presenting with Pathological Fracture in Pregnancy:A Case Report | Kerala Journal of Orthopaedics | July – Dec 2019; 32(2): 46-49.
(Abstract) (Full Text HTML) (Download PDF)